Gotta start somewhere!

I have always been interested in learning. As a kid in elementary through high school I just wanted it to be easy! I just needed to know what was required and how to keep my parents and the teachers happy. My learning objective was learning enough to get reasonable grades while being able to maintain an active "play" schedule. My learning outcome was progressing through the educational system in an orderly fashion with good enough grades so as to not draw much attention to my academics. I was pretty good at it. Somewhere along the way, in my early thirties, I discovered that learning had value and what you know makes a difference in what you receive. The more I knew, the better I understood why people do what they do and how things work.  I could use the ability to learn and the knowledge that comes with it to make my and those that I interact with life's better. Pretty powerful stuff. 

Comments

  1. Good to see you getting your blog off the ground, Brad! Yes, learning is critical especially in today's world ... and there is so much to learn about which is super exciting and makes learning fun! I look forward to seeing what you make of the ID models and theories in our class...All best, Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, I can relate to your childhood learning goals and the challenges of earning acceptable grades while balancing time for my chores and playtime. Discovering the joys in becoming a life-long learner has many internal as well as external benefits. I look forward to continuing our learning journey during this course. Best, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got a way with words...a very journalistic writing style...if you haven't started your first book yet, you should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to this post. In addition to working towards a reasonable grade, I will add that I learned as a competition, working not with but against my classmates to achieve a higher grade or rank. Besides the change to learning for myself and my personal growth, there has been a change in mindset to a teamwork/collaborative approach to learning. I think that's why I value this experience so much because everybody is more than willing to share their ideas, encouragement and thoughts to help improve each other.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So Much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Reverse that.